Monday, November 17, 2008

A Subway Ride

So I actually took the subway yesterday, something I rarely do. Not because I always take taxi's, but because I hardly ever leave Hell's Kitchen. And living in midtown, I am centrally located enough to get pretty much anywhere I want within a few minutes. On the subway I wrote this and I like it a lot. 

You Wouldn't Know

Every morning I wake up
Roll out of bed and have a bowl of cereal
I usually have yogurt
And rarely eat egg whites
I always watch Roseanne
Even if I've seen the episode a million times
I check my email and then head to the gym
But you wouldn't know what mornings are like with me

I can recite all of Drop Dead Gorgeous
Probably in my sleep
When I fall for a movie
It lives in me like a human being would
I feel like I have a lot of films running through me
Exploding through my fingers and out my toes
But you wouldn't know what it's like to see that part of me

I have these days where I can't get out of bed
I've convinced myself I need less comfortable sheets
But I know that's not the truth
I've convinced myself that my room is just the right temperature
Also a lie
I lie a lot to myself
You wouldn't know that because you never asked

I make a lot of cookies
Sometimes more lavish desserts
I put the care into them like I'm making them for someone else
But I know they won't get eaten
Not even by myself
They always end up in the garbage
You wouldn't know that because you never let me make you dinner

I can be emotionally unwilling
Bullheaded and completely illogical
I can open up to the point that I cry
And close down so that nothing you did would ever matter
I can create life from nothing
And live peacefully in my head and through my stories
You wouldn't know that because you never listened to me

No comments: