Monday, November 3, 2008

Mask

NO GUILT
NO SHAME
NO PUNISHMENT

I started taking this class at this acting studio I attend. The class is called Mask. Essentially we put on different masks that are supposed to work through your body and make you move differently. I'm not even going to try and explain it as to that I will do it incorrectly and it will just come off as confusing. Our teacher was telling us that he lives his life with the rules of No Guilt, No Shame, No Punishment. And every time something happens that he doesn't like, he just says it to himself and feels better. With that said, I think the idea is wonderful. I wish that I wouldn't guilt myself over things I've done, mistakes I've made, and that I wouldn't try to make other people feel guilty for their choices. Sometimes you just have to accept things and make a choice, move on, or work through it. No shame, why should I ever be abashed over my feelings? Why should I be shamed with my job, my career that may or may not be going anywhere. Why should I be ashamed of all of my other little insecurities? Most of them make me who I am, and I'm pretty ok with "me". No punishment, I would love to not punish myself for things. I have a tendency to beat myself up over things beyond my control. And sometimes I feel like I am punishing other people, trying to make them learn a lesson. It is just all overly negative and just not worth the energy. I wish it were easier for me to just jump from moment to moment in real life. Make a choice and move on. Sometimes I linger in moments from the past for too long and it only hinders me.

Maybe this will be my new years resolution, and I'll just start a little early.

No comments: