Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Waterfalls and Kiwi's


The other night I was told to be on the corner of 18th and 8th at 7:30 sharp, don't be late. I was late, by 5 minutes, sometimes you have to keep a guy on his toes. I wasn't told where we were going, just to make sure and bring a sweater. There is something adventurous and interesting in the mystery of a first date and someone not telling you what they have planned. I'm so used to the standard dinner, movie, drinks and so forth. To have someone be that daring in the first date only makes me wonder what the 500th must be like with someone in that mindset.

We hoped on the a train and headed to the south street seaport. There we hoped on a boat and took a 30 minute ride to see the waterfalls. The waterfalls are this art installation downtown, there are four and they all seem to just appear in mid air with no beginning. Isn't it funny that sometimes life is like that, sometimes you just fall from nowhere and your not even sure where you started from. There is a certain peaceful serenity and magic in the falls.

After the falls we walked to this small new zealand restaurant on the corner of some random street that you would never know was there. I learned what a kiwi is, essentially someone from new Zealand as an ozie is someone from Australia. I learned about the culture and it left me wishing that America had more stories to share. More history. I found it beautiful that the archways of the restaurant represent the gods ribs. This wraps back into canoes, but I forget the entire explonation.

Talking to people that have traveled the world only seems to make me want to see more. I sometimes forget that there are other places beyond the American dream. I don't think I'm ready to live in another country, but in the future I'd like to try. I'm still not sure exactly of my place in the world, but that clearly means more then what country or city.

When I asked him why he hadn't told me where we were going, his reply was simple and pointed. If I did tell you, or I didn't plan something different, wouldn't it just be another date? And it's true, rather or not I see him again isn't the point, but that I will definetly rememer it. I've been on so many mundane dates, it's always nice to have someone try something new.

There was a guy that I dated for a small amount of time, and almost every morning he stayed with me I would make him pancakes with fruit and whiped cream. I hate making breakfest, but he said that is always made him feel like it was his birthday, so that was reason enough for me. I've had breakfest in bed, but I assume it tastes much sweeter when it's not me making it for myself.

I once had a therapist that told me to date myself. Every week take myself to a movie, to dinner, to do something that I would do for someone else, but for myself. Those were some of the best dates of my life. Those were times where I learned the most about me abs what I actually wanted to do.

As of lately I've been a huge fan of escapism. Anything to get out of my head and away from my thoughts. I've gotten stuck in the world of Harry Potter, now I'm on book 7 and I'm not ready to leave. I wish I had magical powers and were able to fly. But even if I could fly, I'm not sure where I would fly to. Maybe in the morning I would wake, fly out my window and gather fruit for breakfest. Create an amazing looking meal and set myself a beautiful table. No, not a table, but crawl back in bed and make my meal float to me, that way I wouldn't really be doing it myself, but it would still be a date with myself.

Perhaps I could enchant a stuffed animal and have it serve me. Stuffed animals usually don't fuck you over, but I'd look pretty funny walking through a museum with one in hand.

The other night I was told to be on the corner of 18th and 8th. I didn't know where I was going, but I'm glad I checked it out.

No comments: