Monday, August 18, 2008

Prince Eric



I've convinced myself that I am meant to fall in with someone who has an all too uncanny resemblance to prince Eric. Yes, the prince Eric from The Little Mermaid. He will be 6'2-6'4, dark hair, bright beautiful eyes, broad shoulders, the most perfect dog, and he will be a perfect gentleman. He will set up romantic dinners, take me on wild adventures, laugh at my childish mishaps, and pick me up when I fall. He will not sleep with my friends, have a manhunt account, a drug problem, or be between jobs. My thoughts won't scare him, my emotions, my looks, my love for everything bright and exuberant. He will understand my need for Roseanne, my love for cheesecake, and my over emotional days that usually end in tears. We will live somewhere far away from the city, a place with trees, a garden, and the ocean. We will be able to see the stars from our rooftop, and only hear the silence of each other breathing.

I’ve convinced myself that I don’t know how or when, but I will meet this person and instantly know it is “him”. I am expecting love at first sight, and for it to last forever.

So what is worse? To actually believe that you will meet someone perfect and hold onto the fairytale, or to believe that no one is perfect and just settle? And is my true definition of the perfect man a simple animated character?

I feel as though I’ve thought I’ve met Prince Eric many times over, and then after a month or two, the shine has faded and I’m no longer impressed with the figure in front of me. I used to always just think that I wasn’t meeting the “right” person, but now after four years of being single, I have to wonder, “Is the problem me?” Am I simply looking and expecting the unrealistic?

I dated someone for a very short period of time about a year and a half ago. A friend of mine, not knowing of my obsession, told me that he looked like Prince Eric. I had already had that thought. I still think of him fondly and I miss him. Even though it was a very short affair, there are times when I miss him. I’ve passed him on the street and said nothing, simply ke pt walking. And inside, fell apart. The funny thing is, we never even officially stopped seeing each other, there was no discussions, no opinions, thoughts, it was just there, and then not. Maybe if we had spent more time together I would have grown to hate him.

So is Disney to blame for giving children fantasies? And what is really worth waiting for? Do you just simply know? And does it hit like a lightening storm? I don’t ever want to get a divorce, I want forever. I want all the stupid things, like flowers, breakfast in bed, my favorite candy. And to be held at night. I don’t NEED anything from someone else, but it would be nice to have someone want to be these things.

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You look like Prince Eric, Sweetheart - and you know how to love like him as well.

Your passion for life is addicting so never let that fizzle.

Love you much,
Kris