Monday, October 27, 2008

Vomiting and Starbucks (not in that order)

Starbucks

I went into Starbucks today and ordered what has become my usual drink. A triple grande french vanilla skinny latte. Yes, I am one of "those" people. This is all the fault of one of my friends that runs a Starbucks and has gotten me hooked on this shit. To be honest, I'm not even sure what it is that I'm drinking, but I know how to order it, it gives me energy, and it tastes pretty good. On my cup there was a quote, and I love it.

"The world bursts at the seams with people ready to tell you you're not good enough. On occasion, some may be correct. But do not do their work for them. Seek any job; ask anyone out; pursue any goal. Don't take it personally when they say "no" - they may not be smart enough to say "yes"." -Keith Olbermann

It is simple and true, and makes me wonder who I am not asking out that I should be. And what is so frightening of a "no"?

I think one of the sweetest moments of my life was when I was in a restaurant in Chelsea that I used to work at. I wasn't working there at the time, but had gone back to visit my friends. There was a guy sitting at the front, alone, reading. I thought he was beautiful. He sort of looked like an elf, but with a beautiful chiseled face. After careful consideration, I decided that I needed to talk to him. So I got up and went over to say "hi". We ended up dating for a little while, and eventually it didn't work. That's not the point though. The point is that I had the balls to just say "hi". On our first date we ended up going to a Christina Ricci movie, Penelope, and the movie sucked. Just for reference.

And Vomiting

Most everything that I write, is done on my iPhone. I have a really hard time sitting in front of my computer and typing. I have over 100 pages of things I'm working on within my phone. I think my book will be entirely held on my phone until I'm finished. Editing will clearly be a mess. Sometimes I write when I'm drunk, and in the morning I find these little pieces of emotionally charged words lingering in my phone that I don't even remember writing. The following would be one of those, and to be honest, I love it. It's sweetly sad and makes me laugh. Enjoy.

"Sometimes I get so depressed that I can't get out of bed. I can't sleep, so I just twist and turn and think about everything in my life that sucks. I try to count sheep, but I can't focus on something so dull and stupid. I will hardly eat or sleep for days, and go get drunk to try and feel better. I always get sick and vomit my life out. Sometimes I stare at my puke and think about how lucky it is to have been able to get away from me."

No comments: