Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Drop

I started what I thought was going to be a great entry, got a few sentences in and now I can't get anything out. My head feels full from notes that I've taken all night and now I'm not finding any release.

I had a realization today that I am constantly waiting for the ball to drop. I am constantly waiting for good things to end and I assume that nothing can really be as great as it feels. I think this comes from growing up in a house where I was always ready and waiting for the next argument. I was always anticipating the next bad thing that was going to happen and how I was going to try and fix it or make it go away. Every morning I would wake up and try to make sure no one fought on the way to school. After school I'd rush home and again try to keep everyone calm and collected. At night I hated going to sleep before everyone else because I felt as though I had to be in constant control and make sure everyone was okay. I've been doing this for so long that I do it now without even thinking. I am always anticipating the next bad thing to happen and forgetting about what I'm doing at the time. This makes me wonder how many great moments I've missed because I've been locked in anxiety and trying to save the world.

Because I am usually waiting for the next bad thing, I make mountains out of mole hills and many times I look for problems when there are none. At this point I am trying to fix things before they are even broken and in turn breaking them myself. It really hadn't dawn on me that I do these things until earlier today and suddenly it all seemed so clear, my past, my present, and the root of this way of thinking. I think that because I grew up feeling so much anxiety now it almost feels like "home" to be standing in turmoil.

There are certain moments that I wish I could make last forever, but in concentrating on what you want to last, you miss all the great moments that come after. You can't hold onto anything, so why do I try so hard to do just that?

No comments: